There are very few recipes that made me dream when I was little and the most of them were the ones made by my grand-moms. Though, there is one thing that I always loved to eat when we were visiting “Tanti Rodica”, a friend of my parents. Puff paste snacks! Niamy! I haven’t dare to ask her how she did it until I was a grown up. But when I knew how easy it is, it became my favorite snack ever! Some weeks ago, my girlfriend showed sweet me a photo with a sweet pie in shape of sun and asked:
“how would look your favorite snack in this shape?”
Delicious of course!!!
Sun pie with cheese, cumin and sesame seeds
For 4 people as an aperitif
- 50g cheese (I used Parmesan, Comte and Västerbotten swedish cheese - you can use any cheese you want)
- 2 puff pastry sheets (I buy them already done, but you can do it yourself)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- sesame seeds
- cumin seeds
- sea salt
- Heat the oven at 180°C
- In a tray, put a puff pastry sheet over a backing sheet (if the pastry is not round, use a round object to cut it and make a nice circle). Spread the grated cheese over the pasty letting 2cm on the borders. Wet the 2cm borders with some water and cover with the second puff pastry sheet. Pres on the borders that the two pastry's stick together.
- Place a glass (or something round) in the middle of the pastry and start to cut the pastry from the glass towards the borders. Slice it in 4, than each quarter in three, than each slice in two.
- Remove the glass and brush with the egg yolk. Sprinkle with salt. Sprinkle half of the pastry with sesame seeds and the other half with cumin seeds (or use your favorite spices).
- Now twist all the slices, making a 360° movement around the longitudinal axis. Careful not too break them.
- Place in the oven for around 30 minutes.
- Serve cold (it is always better the next day)
Darling, à table! http://darlingatable.com/